PHASE 1 - OVERVIEW
PHASE 1 - Boston Overflight Noise Study (BONS)
Phase 1 of the noise study, also known as BONS, produced several modified flight procedures that either raised aircraft altitudes over communities or maximized the use of over-water flight when conditions permitted.
Several of the departure procedures (flights leaving the airport) and two arrival or approach procedures have already been implemented, and are in use today.
The remaining procedures are in the process of being published for implementation.
All of these procedures are described in detail in the FAA's October 2007 Categorical Exclusion/Record of Decision (PDF 34 mb).
These noise abatement procedures were extensively evaluated as part of Phase 1 of the study.
Numerous meetings were held and analytical reports produced over the course of several years.
The overall objective of Phase 1 was to identify safe and efficient noise abatement proposals that would not adversely affect other communities within the study area and that could be implemented as soon as feasible.
If you are interested in information used by the FAA, Massport and CAC during the Phase 1 process, select the category of interest below for further details.
Here you can learn about the overall process, current status and obtain material such as meeting notes, presentations, technical reports and findings.
- Phase 1 Objectives/Milestones ¨C contains information related to major project milestones such as; aircraft operations and procedure inventory, preliminary screening, evaluation, alternatives analysis and the FAA's Phase 1 Record of Decision. and details on Phase 1 implementation
- BOS/TAC ¨C includes Boston Technical Advisory Committee (BOS/TAC) meeting agenda, notes and presentation material during Phase 1.
- CAC ¨C includes any CAC related materials produced during the course of Phase 1 that were shared by CAC to the project team.
- Phase 1 Implementation ¨C provides some review documents and status updates related to the implementation of each alternative.
- Document Library ¨C contains copies of ALL documents produced or used during the course of Phase 1 such as: the scope of work, cumulative noise analysis, meeting notes, alternatives analysis, etc. This may duplicate documents listed on other pages.